Other Oz events can also be found on the Wizard of Oz Calendar of Events page on Facebook.
Going on now
Wicked play, around the world
Now playing: Wicked. This is the award-winning musical based on Gregory Maguire's novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. The book is by Winnie Holzman, the music by Stephen Schwartz, and the show is directed by Joe Mantello. It has done so well, it has spawned the following sit-down companies:
- Gershwin Theater, Broadway, New York City, New York. Tickets may be purchased online at ticketmaster.com. For more details, go to wickedthemusical.com. For a "Behind the Emerald Curtain" tour on Saturday mornings, go to http://www.emeraldcurtain.com/New-York.html for details.
- The Apollo Victoria Theatre, The West End, London, England, United Kingdom. For more information, including booking tickets, see http://www.wickedthemusical.co.uk/ or http://www.wickedwestend.co.uk/, and tickets can be purchased through http://www.wickedtheatretickets.co.uk/. You can also follow the British Wicked on the following social network sites:
- A British Isles touring production is now making the rounds, with the following dates and cities announced:
- Now through February 14, 2015: Theatre Royal Plymouth, Plymouth, Devon, England
- February 18-March 21, 2015: Bristol Hippodrome, Bristol, England
- March 31-April 25, 2015: Sunderland Empire Theatre, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, England
- May 5-30, 2015: His Majesty's Theatre, Aberdeen, Scotland
- June 3-July 25, 2015: The Lowry, Salford, Greater Manchester, England
- (The tour's website is at http://www.wickedtour.co.uk/.)
- The Japanese production of Wicked has returned to Tokyo, at the Dentsu-Shiki Theatre. See http://wicked.jp/index.html for details.
- Wicked is back touring Australia. Currently planned stops are:
- Now through January 30, 2015: Capitol Theatre, Haymarket, Sydney, New South Wales
- Opening February 15, 2015: Lyric Theatre, QPAC, Brisbane, Queensland
- Opening May 3, 2015: Crown Theatre Perth, Perth, Western Australia
- See http://www.wickedthemusical.com.au/ for details and tickets.
- Wicked: El Musical is now playing at the Teatro Telcel in Mexico City—but closes January 18, 2015. For more information or tickets, see the show's website at http://wickedelmusical.com.mx/.
- Wicked is also now open in Seoul, South Korea. See http://www.wickedthemusical.co.kr/ for information and tickets.
- The South American premiere of Wicked is rumored to be in São Paulo, Brazil in 2015.
- Wicked is also touring the United States and Canada. For more information and updates about the tour, see http://www.wickedthemusical.com/#WickedCitiesOnTour or http://www.musicalschwartz.com/wicked-tour.htm. Here's the current schedule (locations and dates are subject to change):
- Now through March 15, 2015: Pantages Theatre, Los Angeles, California
- January 28-February 15, 2015: The Peace Center, Greenville, South Carolina
- February 18-March 8, 2015: Fix Theatre, Atlanta, Georgia
- March 11-29, 2015: Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, Miami, Florida
- April 1-26, 2015: The Hippodrome Theatre, Baltimore, Maryland
- June 3-July 5, 2015: Buell Theatre, Denver, Colorado
- July 8-August 2, 2015: Paramount Theatre, Seattle, Washington
- August 5-23, 2015: Keller Auditorium, Portland, Oregon
- August 26-October 24, 2015: ASU Gammage, Tempe, Arizona
Oz the Great and Powerful movie national cablecast
Now playing: Oz the Great and Powerful movie, national cablecast, Starz and Encore channels. Now that it's had a good run in theaters and been released on home video, it's time to watch the latest hit Oz movie on premium cable! Oz the Great and Powerful has the following showtimes scheduled (all times listed are EDT):
- February 3: Starz, 5:35 a.m.
- February 13: Starz, 12:55 p.m.
- March 9: Encore, 4:15 p.m.
- March 10: Encore, 7:35 a.m.
- March 25: Encore, 11:20 a.m.
The movie may also available on Starz On Demand, Starz Play, Encore On Demand, or Encore Play. For more information and possible future showtimes, see the movie's Starz web page at http://www.starz.com/movies/titles/ozthegreatandpowerful/18741, and the Encore page at http://www.encoretv.com/movies/titles/ozthegreatandpowerful/18741. Check your local listings for exact times and channels in your area.
The Origins of Oz documentary, national cablecast and on the Internet
Now playing: The Origins of Oz documentary, Smithsonian Channel cablecast and the Internet. This look at the Oz phenomenon and its influence has the following broadcasts scheduled (all times listed are EDT/PDT):
- (Not currently scheduled)
You can also watch it online at the program's website, at http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/sc/web/show/137669/origins-of-oz-the.
The Wonderful Wizard of Song revue, New York City, New York
Now playing: The Wonderful Wizard of Song revue, St. Luke's Theatre, New York City, New York. This Off-Broadway show celebrates the music of Harold Arlen, one of America's greatest songwriters. Among his classics are the songs from The Wizard of Oz. Shows are Wednesdays through Sundays at 8:00 p.m., and tickets cost $39.50 and $69.50. For more information, or to purchase tickets, see the show's website at http://www.thewonderfulwizardofsong.com/.
"Not in Kansas Anymore" episode of Fame, on the Internet
Now playing: "Not in Kansas Anymore" episode of Fame, hulu.com. Episodes of the classic series Fame are now available to watch on the Internet, including this Oz-themed episode. Doris, after finding out that she's not eligible to be in the next show, conks herself on the head and dreams that the School for the Arts has been transformed into Oz, with all of her friends and teachers playing its citizens. To watch, go to http://www.hulu.com/watch/151850/fame-not-in-kansas-anymore.
"The Wizard of Paws/Pinocchio Penguin" episode of Hello Kitty's Furry Tale Theater, on the Internet
Now playing: "The Wizard of Paws/Pinocchio Penguin" episode of Hello Kitty's Furry Tale Theater, hulu.com. Hello Kitty and the gang put on their own version of The Wizard of Oz (and Pinocchio, too). To watch, go to http://www.hulu.com/watch/120366#s-p3-so-i0.
The Shirley Temple Storybook Collection: The Land of Oz, on the Internet
Now playing: The Land of Oz episode of The Shirley Temple Storybook Collection, hulu.com. This 1961 episode of Temple's show adapts the second Oz book. Features Temple herself as Ozma and Tip, Agnes Moorehead as Mombi, Jonathan Winters as General Nikidik, Sterling Holloway as Jack Pumpkinhead, Ben Blue as the Scarecrow, Gil Lamb as the Tin Woodman, and Mel Blanc as the voice of the Sawhorse. To watch for free on hulu.com, go to http://www.hulu.com/watch/369199.
The Wizard of Oz and The Wiz, throughout the United Kingdom
Now playing: The Wizard of Oz, throughout the United Kingdom. Oz is a popular show to perform in the United Kingdom, and there always seems to be a show going on somewhere. For a complete listing of all upcoming productions of The Wizard of Oz in the United Kingdom, see the listings at The List, naturally. They also have listings for performances of The Wiz.
The Wonderful Wizardry of Baum exhibit, Buffalo, New York
Now on exhibit: The Wonderful Wizardry of Baum exhibit, Rare Book Room, Buffalo and Erie County Public Library Main Branch, Buffalo, New York. Not so far from his original upstate New York home, Oz creator L. Frank Baum gets a retrospective in this exhibit of the first editions of many of his works. For more information, including preview pictures, see the exhibit's website at http://www.buffalolib.org/content/now-display/rare-book-room/baum-exhibit.
Garmin Marathon in the Land of Oz Road Race, Olathe, Kansas
April 18, 2015: Garmin Marathon in the Land of Oz, Olathe, Kansas. Well, if you're going to organize a long-distance run in Kansas, you may as well make it Oz-themed. For details, including course routes and registration information, check out the website at ozmarathon.com.
Wizard of Oz Month Celebration, the Internet
May 2015: Wizard of Oz Programming, Seasons & Celebrations, Live365.com Internet Radio. In honor of L. Frank Baum's birthday on May 15, this online radio station, with different topical programming each month, plays music about Oz, including songs from Oz movies and plays. Also in the mix is Judy Garland reprising her role as Dorothy in the 1950 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of The Wizard of Oz. To listen, go to http://www.live365.com/stations/tc_arts_ent. You can also look for the station at http://www.athena365.com/index.live and on itunes Adult Contemporary radio.
Yellow Brick Road Festival, Sedan, Kansas
May, 2015: Yellow Brick Road Festival, Sedan, Kansas. This town in Kansas celebrates The Wizard of Oz every year. For details, see http://www.lasr.net/travel/city.php?Sedan&Kansas&Yellow+Brick+Road+Festival&City_ID=KS0604019&Event_ID=KS0604019e002&VE=Y or call 620-725-4033.
Oz-Stravaganza, Chittenango, New York
June, 2015: Oz-Stravaganza and National Oz Convention, Chittenango, New York. L. Frank Baum's home town honors their favorite son with this annual festival (formerly known as Oz Fest). Events include a children's Oz costume contest; craft and vendor booths; the Munchkin Mile Kids Fun Run; and lots of other contests. For more information, see the festival's website at http://www.oz-stravaganza.com/, or the town's website at http://www.chittenango.org.
Judy Garland Festival, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
June, 2015: Judy Garland Festival, Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Judy's home town throws its annual party in her honor. For more information, check out the website at http://www.judygarlandmuseum.com/index.html.
Winkie Convention, San Diego, California
July 31-August 2, 2015: Winkie Convention, Town and Country Resort, San Diego, California. The longest running Oz convention celebrates its fifty-first edition. This year marks the centennial of The Scarecrow of Oz, forty years of The Wiz on Broadway, thirty years of Disney's Return to Oz, and twenty years of the novel Wicked. For more information, keep your eyes on the convention website at http://www.ozconinternational.com/, and the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Winkie-Con-The-Longest-Running-Wizard-of-Oz-Event/131961676887674. And registration is now open at http://www.ozconinternational.com/registration.html.
Oz Fest Illinois, Mapleton, Illinois
August, 2015: Oz Fest Illinois, Butler Haynes Park, Mapleton, Illinois. This one day festival, at the site of a permanent Wizard of Oz children's garden, will feature Oz characters, an Oz costume parade, an Oz puppet show, exhibitions, vendors, and more. For more information, see the festival's Facebook page.
Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas
September (date to be announced), 2015: Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas. The town not only has an Oz museum, they put on an annual Oz festival. Authors and other special guests will attend, and there's also admission to the museum. For more details, call the Oz museum at 1-866-458-TOTO, or see the event's website at http://oztoberfest.com/.
Midwest Oz Fest 2015, Tinley Park, Illinois
September 2015 (Exact date to be announced): Midwest Oz Fest 2015, Tinley Park, Illinois. To celebrate seventy-five years of the famous movie version of The Wizard of Oz, the southwest suburbs of Chicago are hosting a big festival, with vendors and food and rides and games and parades and all the rest. It's early still, but to stay on top of the festival's progress, keep an eye on http://www.midwestozfest.com/home.html, or the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Midwest-Wizard-of-Oz-Festival/577056169054982.
Autumn at Oz Party, Banner Elk, North Carolina
October, 2015: Autumn at Oz Party, Beech Mountain, Banner Elk, North Carolina. The Wizard of Oz Park on the mountain may no longer be in regular operation, but it's still there, and Oz and park fans get together once a year for a party. For more information, check out http://www.autumnatoz.com/.
OzFest, Liberal, Kansas
October, 2015: OzFest, Liberal, Kansas. The home town of the Dorothy's House attraction hosts its annual tribute to Dorothy and Oz. For more information, see the event's website (and be sure to call 1-800-LIBERAL to confirm event and dates, as the website is a bit sparse on information).
The Wizard of Oz, holiday cablecasts
The Wizard of Oz holiday cablecasts, TBS and TNT. The stations' annual holiday season showings of the famous film version are, generally speaking, around Thanksgiving on TBS and Christmas on TNT. Check back as the season gets closer.