Other Oz events can also be found on the Wizard of Oz Calendar of Events page on Facebook.
- 1 Going on now
- 1.1 Wicked play, around the world
- 1.2 The Origins of Oz documentary, national cablecast and on the Internet
- 1.3 "The Wizard of Paws/Pinocchio Penguin" episode of Hello Kitty's Furry Tale Theater, on the Internet
- 1.4 The Shirley Temple Storybook Collection: The Land of Oz, on the Internet
- 1.5 The Wizard of Oz and The Wiz, throughout the United Kingdom
- 1.6 The Wizard of Oz play, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- 1.7 The Wonderful Wizard of Oz exhibit, Greenville, South Carolina
- 2 November 2015
- 3 November/December 2015
- 4 December 2015
- 5 2015/2016
- 6 April 2016
- 7 May 2016
- 8 June 2016
- 9 July 2016
- 10 August 2016
- 11 September 2016
- 12 October 2016
Going on now
Wicked play, around the world
Now playing: Wicked. This is the award-winning musical based on Gregory Maguire's novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. The book is by Winnie Holzman, the music by Stephen Schwartz, and the show is directed by Joe Mantello. It has done so well, it has spawned the following sit-down companies:
- Gershwin Theater, Broadway, New York City, New York. Tickets may be purchased online at ticketmaster.com. For more details, go to wickedthemusical.com. For a "Behind the Emerald Curtain" tour on Saturday mornings, go to http://www.emeraldcurtain.com/New-York.html for details.
- The Apollo Victoria Theatre, The West End, London, England, United Kingdom. For more information, including booking tickets, see http://www.wickedthemusical.co.uk/ or http://www.wickedwestend.co.uk/, and tickets can be purchased through http://www.wickedtheatretickets.co.uk/. You can also follow the British Wicked on the following social network sites:
- Wicked has finished its latest tour of Australia. See http://www.wickedthemusical.com.au/ for future tours or other news.
- Wicked is also touring the United States and Canada. For more information and updates about the tour, see http://www.wickedthemusical.com/north-american-tour-tickets or http://www.musicalschwartz.com/wicked-tour.htm. Here's the current schedule (locations and dates are subject to change):
- Now through December 6, 2015: The Kentucky Center, Louisville, Kentucky
- December 9, 2015-January 3, 2016: The Fabulous Fox Theatre, St. Louis, Missouri
- January 6-31, 2016: Ovens Auditorium, Charlotte, North Carolina
- February 17-March 3, 2016: Sangstrom Center for the Arts, Costa Mesa, California
- April 20-May 22, 2016: Music Hall at Fair Park, Dallas, Texas
- May 25-June 19, 2016: Saenger Theatre, New Orleans, Louisiana
- June 22-July 3, 3016: Jefferson Civic Center Concert Hall, Birmingham, Alabama
- July 6-August 14, 2016: Hobby Center for the Performaing Arts, Houston, Texas
- August 17-September 4, 2016: Ohio Theatre, Columbus, Ohio
The Origins of Oz documentary, national cablecast and on the Internet
Now playing: The Origins of Oz documentary, Smithsonian Channel cablecast and the Internet. This look at the Oz phenomenon and its influence has the following broadcasts scheduled (all times listed are EDT/PDT):
- December 18, 2015, 3:00 p.m.
- December 29, 2015, 1:00 p.m.
You can also watch it online at the program's website, at http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/sc/web/show/137669/origins-of-oz-the.
"The Wizard of Paws/Pinocchio Penguin" episode of Hello Kitty's Furry Tale Theater, on the Internet
Now playing: "The Wizard of Paws/Pinocchio Penguin" episode of Hello Kitty's Furry Tale Theater, hulu.com. Hello Kitty and the gang put on their own version of The Wizard of Oz (and Pinocchio, too). To watch, go to http://www.hulu.com/watch/120366#s-p3-so-i0.
The Shirley Temple Storybook Collection: The Land of Oz, on the Internet
Now playing: The Land of Oz episode of The Shirley Temple Storybook Collection, hulu.com. This 1961 episode of Temple's show adapts the second Oz book. Features Temple herself as Ozma and Tip, Agnes Moorehead as Mombi, Jonathan Winters as General Nikidik, Sterling Holloway as Jack Pumpkinhead, Ben Blue as the Scarecrow, Gil Lamb as the Tin Woodman, and Mel Blanc as the voice of the Sawhorse. To watch for free on hulu.com, go to http://www.hulu.com/watch/369199.
The Wizard of Oz and The Wiz, throughout the United Kingdom
Now playing: The Wizard of Oz, throughout the United Kingdom. Oz is a popular show to perform in the United Kingdom, and there always seems to be a show going on somewhere. For a complete listing of all upcoming productions of The Wizard of Oz in the United Kingdom, see the listings at The List, naturally. They also have listings for performances of The Wiz.
The Wizard of Oz play, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Now through January 10, 2016: The Wizard of Oz play, UnitedHealth Group Stage, Minneapolis, Minnesota. Presented by Minneapolis' renowned Children's Theatre Company, this musical stage adaptation is based on the famous film version, with a script first used by the Royal Shakespeare Company. For more information, or to purchase tickets, see the show's web page.
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz exhibit, Greenville, South Carolina
Now through January 18, 2016: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz museum exhibit, Upcountry History Museum, Furman University, Greenville, South Carolina. The traveling interactive museum exhibit, based on the original book, comes to South Carolina. For details, see the museum's website at http://www.upcountryhistory.org/changing-exhibits/upcoming-exhibits/.
The Making of The Wiz Live! national telecast
November 25, 2015: The Making of The Wiz Live! national telecast, NBC. One week and one day before NBC presents their next live musical, go behind the scenes and see how it all came together. It starts at 8:00 pm (check local listings for exact time and channel in your area).
Oz the Great and Powerful national cablecasts
November 25 and 28, 2015: Oz the Great and Powerful, Syfy and E! networks national cablecasts. The 2013 prequel movie about how small-town carnival humbug came to Oz and became the Wizard has now made it to basic cable. The following cablecasts are scheduled:
- November 25: Syfy network, 8:00 pm and 11:00 pm
- November 28: E! Network, 8:00 pm and 11:00 pm
Check local listings for exact cable channel and time in your area.
Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, New York City, New York, and national broadcast
November 26, 2015: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, New York City, New York, and NBC national broadcast. The 89th annual Thanksgiving Day parade, through the streets of New York City, has an Oz component this year. The cast of The Wiz Live will be appearing and performing. If you are in the New York City area, you probably know about this already. If you are planning to watch it on NBC, check local listings for broadcast time in your area. To find out more, go to the parade's website.
The Wizard of Oz, holiday cablecasts
The Wizard of Oz holiday cablecasts, TBS and TNT. The stations' annual holiday season showings of the famous film version are, generally speaking, around Thanksgiving on TBS and Christmas on TNT. Check back as the season gets closer.
The following showtimes have now been scheduled:
- November 22, 2015, 8:00 pm and 10:17 pm
- November 27, 2015, 3:45 pm
Check your local listings for exact times and channel on your system.
The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus play, Cape May, New Jersey
November 27-December 12, 2015: The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus play, The First Presbyterian Church of Cape May, Cape May, New Jersey. This new stage adaptation of the story by Oz creator L. Frank Baum is presented by the East Lynne Theater Company. Shows are at 8:00 pm on November 27 and 28, and December 6, 10, 11, and 12, with a 2:00 pm matinée on December 12. For more information, or to purchase tickets, see the show's website at http://www.eastlynnetheater.org/the-life-and-adventures-of-santa-claus.html.
Chasing Rainbows: The Road to Oz world premiere musical, Flat Rock, North Carolina
November 27-December 19, 2015: Chasing Rainbows: The Road to Oz world premiere musical, Flat Rock Playhouse, Flat Rock, North Carolina. This new show, which eventually hopes to hit Broadway, tells the story of young Frances "Baby" Gumm's rise to stardom, including a name change to Judy Garland. The show culminates in her playing Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz. Tickets are $15 to $40. For details, or to purchase tickets, see the playhouse's website at https://www.flatrockplayhouse.org/show/chasing-rainbows/.
The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus national cablecast
December 1, 2015: The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus animated holiday special cablecast, ABC Family channel. After getting a year off last year, this 1985 holiday special, based on the book by Oz creator L. Frank Baum and one of the last specials made by the legendary Rankin-Bass company, returns as part of ABC Family's annual 25 Days of Christmas programming. This year, its sole showing is December 1 at 2:30 p.m. Check your local listings for exact time and channel on your system.
Through the Mill play, London, England, United Kingdom
December 1-19, 2015: Through the Mill play, London Theatre Workshop, London, England, United Kingdom. This world premiere play looks at the ups and downs of the life and career of Judy Garland. Shows are Tuesday-Saturday at 8:00 p.m., with Saturay and Sunday matinées at 5:00 p.m. Tickets are £15. For more information, see the show's website at http://londontheatreworkshop.co.uk/through-the-mill/.
The Wiz national live broadcast, NBC
The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus play, Highland Village, Texas
December 4-13, 2015: The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus play, Studio B Theater, Highland Park, Texas. This new dramatic adaptation of the book by L. Frank Baum tells where Santa came from, and how he started delivering toys. Frideay and Saturday shows are at 7:30 pm, with Sunday matinées at 2:30 pm. Tickets are $15 for adults, $12 for students and seniors, and $10 for children 10 and under. For more information, or to purchase tickets, see the theater's website at http://www.studiobtheater.com/.
Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Wizard of Oz national tour
The new stage production of The Wizard of Oz, based on The Movie but expanded with new material by Webber and songs by Tim Rice, is coming back for another tour. Here are the dates that have been announced:
- December 1-6, 2015: State Theatre, Cleveland, Ohio
- December 8-13, 2015: Orpheum Theater, Omaha, Nebraska
- December 15-20, 2015: Civic Center of Greater Des Moines, Des Moines, Iowa
- December 29, 2015-January 3, 2016: National Arts Centre, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- January 5-10, 2016: Heinz Hall, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- January 12-17, 2016: Clowes Hall, Indianapolis, Indiana
- January 19-24, 2016: Auditorium Center, Rochester, New York
- January 29-February 4, 2016: San Jose Center for the Performing Arts, San Jose, California
- February 7-13, 2016: The Buelle Theatre, Denver, Colorado
- February 16-21, 2016: Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- February 23-28, 2016: Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- March 8-13, 2016: Keller Auditorium, Portland, Oregon
- March 15-20, 2016: San Diego Civic Theatre, San Diego, California
- April 5-10, 2016: Shea's Performing Arts Center, Buffalo, New York
- April 12-24, 2016: Wang Theatre, Boston, Massachusetts
- May 3-15, 2016: The National Theatre, Washington, DC
- May 27-29, 2016: Long Center, Austin, Texas
- May 31-June 5, 2016: The Majestic Theatre, San Antonio, Texas
- June 7-12, 2016: Bass Performance Hall, Fort Worth, Texas
- June 21-26, 2016: Fox Theatre, Atlanta, Georgia
- July 5-10, 2016: Belk Theater at Blumenthal Performing Arts Center, Charlotte, North Carolina
- July 12-17, 2016: Straz Center, Tampa, Florida
For more information or to buy tickets, see the show's website.
Garmin Marathon in the Land of Oz, Olathe, Kansas
April 2016 (exact date to be announced): Garmin Marathon in the Land of Oz, Olathe, Kansas. If you're going to have a 26.2-mile run in Kansas, you may as well give it an Oz theme! For more information and to register, see the race's website at http://ozrun.org/.
Wizard of Oz Month Celebration, the Internet
May 2016: Wizard of Oz Programming, Seasons & Celebrations, Live365.com Internet Radio. In honor of L. Frank Baum's birthday on May 15, this online radio station, with different topical programming each month, plays music about Oz, including songs from Oz movies and plays. Also in the mix is Judy Garland reprising her role as Dorothy in the 1950 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of The Wizard of Oz. To listen, go to http://www.live365.com/stations/tc_arts_ent. You can also look for the station at http://www.athena365.com/index.live and on itunes Adult Contemporary radio.
Yellow Brick Road Festival, Sedan, Kansas
May 2016 (exact dates to be announced): Yellow Brick Road Festival, Sedan, Kansas. This town in Kansas celebrates The Wizard of Oz every year. For details, see http://www.lasr.net/travel/city.php?Sedan&Kansas&Yellow+Brick+Road+Festival&City_ID=KS0604019&Event_ID=KS0604019e002&VE=Y or call 620-725-4033.
Oz-Stravaganza, Chittenango, New York
June (dates to be announced), 2016: Oz-Stravaganza, Chittenango, New York. L. Frank Baum's home town honors their favorite son with this annual festival (formerly known as Oz Fest). Events include a children's Oz costume contest; craft and vendor booths; the Munchkin Mile Kids Fun Run; and lots of other contests. For more information, see the festival's website at http://www.oz-stravaganza.com/, or the town's website at http://www.chittenango.org.
Judy Garland/Wizard of Oz Festival, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
June (dates to be announced), 2016: Judy Garland Wizard of Oz festival, Judy Garland Museum, Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Judy's home town celebrates their native daughter with a festival devoted to her and The Wizard of Oz. For more information, see the museum's website at http://www.judygarlandmuseum.com/.
Wizard of Oz Festival, Ionia, Michigan
June (dates to be announced(, 2016: Wizard of Oz Festival, Ionia, Michigan. This Michigan town becomes the latest city to hold a Wizard of Oz festival. For details and schedule, see the festival's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Wizardofozfestionia.
The Wonderful World of Oz: Selections from the Willard Carroll/Tom Wilhite Collection exhibit, Davenport, Iowa
June 12-September 25, 2016: The Wonderful World of Oz: Selections from the Willard Carroll/Tom Wilhite Collection museum exhibit, Katz Gallery, Figge Art Museum, Davenport, Iowa. One of the largest and most extensive collections of Wizard of Oz memorabilia will get an outing this summer for folks in Iowa to see. For more information, see this article. The museum's website is at http://figgeartmuseum.org/.
OzCon International 2016, Portland, Oregon
July 15-17, 2016: OzCon International, Sheraton Portland Airport Hotel, Portland, Oregon. The world's longest running Wizard of Oz event leaves California for the first time ever and visits the Rose City. Events, guests, and other information will be available soon. Visit the event's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/events/1108566289173261/.
Oz Fest Illinois, Mapleton, Illinois
August (date to be announced), 2016: Oz Fest Illinois, Butler Haynes Park, Mapleton, Illinois. This one day festival, at the site of a permanent Wizard of Oz children's garden, will feature Oz characters, an Oz costume parade, an Oz puppet show, exhibitions, vendors, and more. For more information, see the festival's Facebook page.
Midwest Oz Fest 2015, Tinley Park, Illinois
September (date to be announced), 2016: Midwest Oz Fest 2015, Tinley Park, Illinois. The southwest suburbs of Chicago are hosting a big festival, with vendors and food and rides and games and parades and all the rest. It's early still, but to stay on top of the festival's progress, keep an eye on http://midwestozfest.com/, or the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Midwest-Wizard-of-Oz-Festival/577056169054982.
Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas
September (exact dates to be announced), 2016: Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas. The town not only has an Oz museum, they put on an annual Oz festival. Authors and other special guests will attend, and there's also admission to the museum. For more details, call the Oz museum at 1-866-458-TOTO, or see the event's website at http://oztoberfest.com/.
Chasing Rainbows: The Road to Oz musical, East Haddam, Connecticut
September 16-November 27, 2016: Chasing Rainbows: The Road to Oz musical, Goodspeed Opera House, East Haddam, Connecticut. This new show, which eventually hopes to hit Broadway, tells the story of young Frances "Baby" Gumm's rise to stardom, including a name change to Judy Garland. The show culminates in her playing Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz. For further information, keep your eye on the theater's website at http://goodspeed.org/2016-season.
Autumn at Oz Party, Banner Elk, North Carolina
October (exact dates to be announced), 2016: Autumn at Oz Party, Beech Mountain, Banner Elk, North Carolina. The Wizard of Oz Park on the mountain may no longer be in regular operation, but it's still there, and Oz and park fans get together once a year for a party. For more information, check out http://www.landofoznc.com/#!autumnatoz/c1ox4. Tickets may be purchased at https://autumnatoz.ticketssoeasy.com/index.cfm?include=eventsprofileoutput&eid=2842 (if they're not already sold out).
OzFest, Liberal, Kansas
October (exact dates to be announced), 2016: OzFest, Liberal, Kansas. The home town of the Dorothy's House attraction hosts its annual tribute to Dorothy and Oz. For more information, see the event's website (and be sure to call 1-800-LIBERAL to confirm event and dates, as the website is a bit sparse on information).