Other Oz events can also be found on the Wizard of Oz Calendar of Events page on Facebook.
Going on now
Wicked play, around the world
Now playing: Wicked. This is the award-winning musical based on Gregory Maguire's novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. The book is by Winnie Holzman, the music by Stephen Schwartz, and the show is directed by Joe Mantello. It has done so well, it has spawned the following sit-down companies:
- Gershwin Theater, Broadway, New York City, New York. Tickets may be purchased online at ticketmaster.com. For more details, go to wickedthemusical.com. For a "Behind the Emerald Curtain" tour on Saturday mornings, go to http://www.emeraldcurtain.com/New-York.html for details.
- The Apollo Victoria Theatre, The West End, London, England, United Kingdom. For more information, including booking tickets, see http://www.wickedthemusical.co.uk/ or http://www.wickedwestend.co.uk/, and tickets can be purchased through http://www.wickedtheatretickets.co.uk/. You can also follow the British Wicked on the following social network sites:
- A British Isles touring production is now making the rounds, with the following dates and cities announced:
- Wicked is back touring Australia. Currently planned stops are:
- Now playing: Crown Theatre Perth, Perth, Western Australia
- See http://www.wickedthemusical.com.au/ for details and tickets.
- Now playing: Crown Theatre Perth, Perth, Western Australia
- Wicked is also touring the United States and Canada. For more information and updates about the tour, see http://www.wickedthemusical.com/north-american-tour-tickets or http://www.musicalschwartz.com/wicked-tour.htm. Here's the current schedule (locations and dates are subject to change):
- Now through May 31, 2015: Plaza Theatre, El Paso, Texas
- June 3-July 5, 2015: Buell Theatre, Denver, Colorado
- July 8-August 2, 2015: Paramount Theatre, Seattle, Washington
- August 5-23, 2015: Keller Auditorium, Portland, Oregon
- August 26-October 24, 2015: ASU Gammage, Tempe, Arizona
- October 7-18, 2015: Music Hall, Kansas City, Missouri
- October 21-November 1, 2015: Overture Center for the Arts, Madison, Wisconsin
- November 4-15, 2015: Marcus Center for the Performing Arts, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- November 18-December 6, 2015: The Kentucky Center, Louisville, Kentucky
- December 9, 2015-January 3, 2016: The Fabulous Fox Theatre, St. Louis, Missouri
- January 6-31, 2016: Ovens Auditorium, Charlotte, North Carolina
- February 17-March 3, 2016: Sangstrom Center for the Arts, Costa Mesa, California
- May 25-June 19, 2016: Saenger Theatre, New Orleans, Louisiana
- June 22-July 3, 3016: Jefferson Civic Center Concert HAll, Birmingham, Alabama
- July 6-August 14, 2016: Hobby Center for the Performaing Arts, Houston, Texas
- August 17-September 4, 2016: Ohio Theatre, Columbus, Ohio
The Origins of Oz documentary, national cablecast and on the Internet
Now playing: The Origins of Oz documentary, Smithsonian Channel cablecast and the Internet. This look at the Oz phenomenon and its influence has the following broadcasts scheduled (all times listed are EDT/PDT):
- June 10, 2:00 a.m.
You can also watch it online at the program's website, at http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/sc/web/show/137669/origins-of-oz-the.
The Wonderful Wizard of Song revue, New York City, New York
Now playing: The Wonderful Wizard of Song revue, St. Luke's Theatre, New York City, New York. This Off-Broadway show celebrates the music of Harold Arlen, one of America's greatest songwriters. Among his classics are the songs from The Wizard of Oz. Shows are Wednesdays through Sundays at 8:00 p.m., and tickets cost $39.50 and $69.50. For more information, or to purchase tickets, see the show's website at http://www.thewonderfulwizardofsong.com/.
"Not in Kansas Anymore" episode of Fame, on the Internet
Now playing: "Not in Kansas Anymore" episode of Fame, hulu.com. Episodes of the classic series Fame are now available to watch on the Internet, including this Oz-themed episode. Doris, after finding out that she's not eligible to be in the next show, conks herself on the head and dreams that the School for the Arts has been transformed into Oz, with all of her friends and teachers playing its citizens. To watch, go to http://www.hulu.com/watch/151850/fame-not-in-kansas-anymore.
"The Wizard of Paws/Pinocchio Penguin" episode of Hello Kitty's Furry Tale Theater, on the Internet
Now playing: "The Wizard of Paws/Pinocchio Penguin" episode of Hello Kitty's Furry Tale Theater, hulu.com. Hello Kitty and the gang put on their own version of The Wizard of Oz (and Pinocchio, too). To watch, go to http://www.hulu.com/watch/120366#s-p3-so-i0.
The Shirley Temple Storybook Collection: The Land of Oz, on the Internet
Now playing: The Land of Oz episode of The Shirley Temple Storybook Collection, hulu.com. This 1961 episode of Temple's show adapts the second Oz book. Features Temple herself as Ozma and Tip, Agnes Moorehead as Mombi, Jonathan Winters as General Nikidik, Sterling Holloway as Jack Pumpkinhead, Ben Blue as the Scarecrow, Gil Lamb as the Tin Woodman, and Mel Blanc as the voice of the Sawhorse. To watch for free on hulu.com, go to http://www.hulu.com/watch/369199.
The Wizard of Oz and The Wiz, throughout the United Kingdom
Now playing: The Wizard of Oz, throughout the United Kingdom. Oz is a popular show to perform in the United Kingdom, and there always seems to be a show going on somewhere. For a complete listing of all upcoming productions of The Wizard of Oz in the United Kingdom, see the listings at The List, naturally. They also have listings for performances of The Wiz.
Wizard of Oz Month Celebration, the Internet
May 2015: Wizard of Oz Programming, Seasons & Celebrations, Live365.com Internet Radio. In honor of L. Frank Baum's birthday on May 15, this online radio station, with different topical programming each month, plays music about Oz, including songs from Oz movies and plays. Also in the mix is Judy Garland reprising her role as Dorothy in the 1950 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of The Wizard of Oz. To listen, go to http://www.live365.com/stations/tc_arts_ent. You can also look for the station at http://www.athena365.com/index.live and on itunes Adult Contemporary radio.
Oz-Stravaganza, Chittenango, New York
June, 2015: Oz-Stravaganza and National Oz Convention, Chittenango, New York. L. Frank Baum's home town honors their favorite son with this annual festival (formerly known as Oz Fest). Events include a children's Oz costume contest; craft and vendor booths; the Munchkin Mile Kids Fun Run; and lots of other contests. For more information, see the festival's website at http://www.oz-stravaganza.com/, or the town's website at http://www.chittenango.org.
Judy Garland Festival, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
June, 2015: Judy Garland Festival, Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Judy's home town throws its annual party in her honor. For more information, check out the website at http://www.judygarlandmuseum.com/index.html.
Winkie Convention, San Diego, California
July 31-August 2, 2015: Winkie Convention, Town and Country Resort, San Diego, California. The longest running Oz convention celebrates its fifty-first edition. This year marks the centennial of The Scarecrow of Oz, forty years of The Wiz on Broadway, thirty years of Disney's Return to Oz, and twenty years of the novel Wicked. For more information, keep your eyes on the convention website at http://www.ozconinternational.com/, and the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Winkie-Con-The-Longest-Running-Wizard-of-Oz-Event/131961676887674. And registration is now open at http://www.ozconinternational.com/registration.html.
Oz Fest Illinois, Mapleton, Illinois
August 15, 2015: Oz Fest Illinois, Butler Haynes Park, Mapleton, Illinois. This one day festival, at the site of a permanent Wizard of Oz children's garden, will feature Oz characters, an Oz costume parade, an Oz puppet show, exhibitions, vendors, and more. For more information, see the festival's Facebook page.
Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas
September (date to be announced), 2015: Oztoberfest, Wamego, Kansas. The town not only has an Oz museum, they put on an annual Oz festival. Authors and other special guests will attend, and there's also admission to the museum. For more details, call the Oz museum at 1-866-458-TOTO, or see the event's website at http://oztoberfest.com/.
Midwest Oz Fest 2015, Tinley Park, Illinois
September 2015 (Exact date to be announced): Midwest Oz Fest 2015, Tinley Park, Illinois. To celebrate seventy-five years of the famous movie version of The Wizard of Oz, the southwest suburbs of Chicago are hosting a big festival, with vendors and food and rides and games and parades and all the rest. It's early still, but to stay on top of the festival's progress, keep an eye on http://www.midwestozfest.com/home.html, or the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Midwest-Wizard-of-Oz-Festival/577056169054982.
Autumn at Oz Party, Banner Elk, North Carolina
October, 2015: Autumn at Oz Party, Beech Mountain, Banner Elk, North Carolina. The Wizard of Oz Park on the mountain may no longer be in regular operation, but it's still there, and Oz and park fans get together once a year for a party. For more information, check out http://www.autumnatoz.com/.
OzFest, Liberal, Kansas
October, 2015: OzFest, Liberal, Kansas. The home town of the Dorothy's House attraction hosts its annual tribute to Dorothy and Oz. For more information, see the event's website (and be sure to call 1-800-LIBERAL to confirm event and dates, as the website is a bit sparse on information).
The Wizard of Oz, holiday cablecasts
The Wizard of Oz holiday cablecasts, TBS and TNT. The stations' annual holiday season showings of the famous film version are, generally speaking, around Thanksgiving on TBS and Christmas on TNT. Check back as the season gets closer.
The Wiz national live broadcast, NBC
December 3, 2015: The Wiz live musical, NBC. The network's annual live musical has been announced, and it's an adaptation of The Wizard of Oz! Debuting on Broadway in 1975 and winning seven Tony Awards, including Best Musical, The Wiz retells the story of The Wizard of Oz with an African-American cast. Furthermore, after the broadcast, plans are in the works to bring the show to Broadway in 2016. Stephanie Mills, Broadway's original Dorothy, will play Aunt Em. Keep watching the website, http://www.nbc.com/the-wiz-live, and this space for further information, including additional casting.
Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Wizard of Oz national tour
It appears the new stage production of The Wizard of Oz, based on The Movie but expanded with new material by Webber and songs by Tim Rice, is coming back for another tour. Here are the dates we've been able to discover so far:
- December 15-20, 2015: Des Moines Civic Center, Des Moines, Iowa
- January 29-February 4, 2016: San Jose Center for the Performing Arts, San Jose, California
- February 7-13, 2016: The Buelle Theatre, Denver, Colorado
- March 8-13, 2016: Keller Auditorium, Portland, Oregon
- March 15-20, 2016: San Diego Civic Theatre, San Diego, California
- May 3-15, 2016: The National Theatre, Washington, DC
- May 31-June 5, 2016: The Majestic Theatre, San Antonio, Texas
- June 21-26, 2016: Fox Theatre, Atlanta, Georgia
- July 5-10, 2016: Belk Theater at Blumenthal Performing Arts Center, Charlotte, North Carolina
These dates and locations will (presumably) be confirmed on the show's website in the not too distant future.
Garmin Marathon in the Land of Oz, Olathe, Kansas
April 2016 (exact date to be announced): Garmin Marathon in the Land of Oz, Olathe, Kansas. If you're going to have a 26.2-mile run in Kansas, you may as well give it an Oz theme! For more information and to register, see the race's website at http://ozrun.org/.
Yellow Brick Road Festival, Sedan, Kansas
May 2016 (exact dates to be announced): Yellow Brick Road Festival, Sedan, Kansas. This town in Kansas celebrates The Wizard of Oz every year. For details, see http://www.lasr.net/travel/city.php?Sedan&Kansas&Yellow+Brick+Road+Festival&City_ID=KS0604019&Event_ID=KS0604019e002&VE=Y or call 620-725-4033.